Sunday 25 October 2009

Imperceptible moments

I finally had the luxury of spending some serious time in the gym yesterday and a few thoughts occurred to me. 

The most mundane of life’s moments can be transformed completely by music. Exercise is something that I enjoy but the addition of the right music lifts it to another level. Having not done any serious exercise for several weeks I found the experience very rewarding and part of the reason for that was the music. Which sparked the train of thought that led me here…

One of the things I love about music is it's ability to facilitate an emotional and/or spiritual connection to a deeper or higher place and I've never been sure that there is a difference between deeper and higher in this context. Which suggests that the "place" itself is both within ourselves and spiritual in nature, whatever "spiritual" is. 

I see spirituality as something beautiful within us all that despite, or perhaps because of, a complete lack of a true frame of reference to understand it, provides everyone with some degree and commonality of existence, nature and experience.

In the most mundane of settings music can help to create a moment of great beauty that is imperceptible to all but the one experiencing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment