Friday 9 October 2009

Musing on the train

It's an interesting process to go through. I started this blog last night and it seems that this simple has of itself has engendered a subtle shift in perspective. I'm somehow a little more aware of the opportunity (chance/privilege??) to see and share the beauty around me everyday.

A case in point: I'm sitting on a train to the city. It starts raining. It's not particularly warm. Yet in the midst of this 
mundanity there is always wonder!

The knowledge of the life the rain brings. Or simply the pattern of rain drops on the window. Even the rhythm of the train as it trundles along.

It seems to me that by sharing these thoughts and perspectives with others my own sense of wonder is getting reinvigourated. It's a wonderful and totally unexpected synergy! 


4 comments:

  1. I was a bit disappointed when it started raining whilst I was viewing London from a tourist bus in 2008, annoyed that my vision was being obscured by the rain drops upon the glass... however then I realised that this made for some very pretty visuals, and actually enhanced the outside world! :o)
    Here's one of the photos I took:

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=997592&l=6d9467246c&id=813636977

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to add that when I first began my blog, which is all about the postmodern, I wasn't as receptive to viewing things through the lens of postmodernism as I am now... over time it became easier and easier to find material to write about, and I'm glad that I focused on this concept because it gave me the chance to develop the parts of my mind I see as most attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Epiphanie. This post was triggered by a very similar train of thought. My initial thinking was something along the lines of "how depressing... it's raining again" only to have a somewhat surprising insight into something a bit deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most people relate rain to bleak windy cold conditions, shutting down their plans of running around in the sun all day, soaking up the vitamin D and feeling happy. But for me rain is relaxing, lulling, and reminds me of the kind of warmth you can only get from covering up, drinking a hot drink and reading a book. I have more creative thoughts when It's raining. I used to have a tin-roof right outside my window and the rain pitter-pattering on it would put me to sleep instantly :P

    ReplyDelete