Tuesday 2 March 2010

Musing on a gloomy afternoon

This came to me as I looked out of my office window. 

Musing on a gloomy afternoon

A gentle breeze stirs the leaves
The branches sway languidly
The humid air thick and heavy

A crisp, subtle rustling
Ripples across the morning
Autumn creeping slowly in

The grey aftermath of the rain
Hangs overhead, gloomy, pregnant
With promise and threat

Yet a simple glance around
Reveals exquisite grace
In a simple drop of rain

Clinging gracefully to a leaf
A puddle reflects the life above
A sense of wonder once again renewed

I think the gloom I initially saw was not only not there then, it's never there. It simply our limited perceptions that create the illusion of gloom. The weather, like so many other is never gloomy, or happy or anything else of that nature. It just is. It might be dangerous, hot cold windy etc but the emotions are ours.

Perhaps a simple insight is always there to be gained when we look out at a rainy day. Our perceptions of it may be a reflection of something that exists inside us. Could this be a useful tool for increased self awareness?

I'm not sure but I'm going to try it and see.

2 comments:

  1. This is rather good Steve, I'm glad you still find time to write. And I agree with the sentiments about perception although I would have described it simply as our mood altering our perceptions. Although by changing one's immediate perception, I think it entirely possible to change one's mood. So perhaps it is the same in that it can help self awareness. A timely reminder for me in my current frame of mind... xxxxHalimah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Halimah. I'm glad you liked it. I agree with you about our mood altering our perceptions. But I think that often we allow our altered perception to control how we interpret the world around us without realising that we are seeing the world through the distortions or our own emotions/moods. I'm hoping to be better able to realise whee this is happening and perhaps be less of a pawn in the control of my (sometimes random) moods.

    ReplyDelete