Tuesday 9 March 2010

Experiments in poetry

I've recently thought that it would be great to be able to write about some of the less profound moments that happen in life every day. Sunday thoughts was my first attempt at that.

This is another experiment. But I'm not sure that less profound is an appropriate description. It's beginning to seem that the depth and meaning of something may simply depend on our perspective. Or perhaps it's really just our perception that changes. That there is always meaning, waiting to be perceived. Yet our limitations, perhaps self imposed, perhaps not, hold us back.

Anyway... enough rambling...

Guitars


A glance around the room
Guitars standing in the corners
Mutely gathering dust
Awaiting their muse

A feeling touches my fingers
Desire, yearning awakens
To feel the strings again
To hear, to feel the sound

My hands caress the curves
The wood glossy and smooth
Of their own volition
My hands find their place

A single strum slowly brushed
Oh dear… not so tuneful
A wry smile… a thought
“Play more often”

The old familiar routine
A reassuring ritual
Tuning is quickly done
The strum more tuneful now

My fingers know their places
Music starts to fill the air
A little hesitation
Brief… then banished

Once again I feel inside
The swelling feeling
Of peace and harmony
That always brings peace

Creating… playing… making
A sound… unique… a first
A moment worth living for
Fleeting yet forever

One thing I do know is that I'm enjoying this process very much. It feels like a realisation that there is inspiration all around, all the time. I just need to take the time and see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment