Saturday 3 April 2010

Decisions

I've wanted to try writing poetry that was a little more structured and perhaps a little more traditional. I'm not sure how it came out though :)

I was thinking about life and where it leads us, and how we get there. How much impact the little decisions we make each day can have on ourselves and those around us. It seems to me that in some way every moment of every day is an opportunity to make a decision. To go forward from that moment in any number of different ways. Whether things are going badly or well, no matter how wonderful or how restricted or even oppressed we are, or perhaps feel we are, there is always an opportunity to decide. Even if it's simply to strive to a little more tranquility of spirit. Do we accept a hard road that in our hearts we know is right with radiant acquiescence? Do we fight for what we believe in? Do we do nothing? 

One of the uncomfortable conundrums is that not deciding is also perhaps a decision, but one where we relinquish control to others, or maybe to random chance...

Decisions...

Does every step to a crossroads lead,
To endless potential that waits to be freed?
Does each new tread upon the ground
Start paths unnumbered and yet to be found?

The paths ahead in the distance wend
The agony of choice the heart does rend
“Don’t make me choose” the soul bemoans
“I cannot decide. Too many unknowns”

It matters not ere the instant is here
The direction, the choice can never be clear
Free will, desire, it’s ours to choose,
We’ll always have all and nothing to lose

As life flows on we have to decide
Whatever transpires we take in our stride
The moment is now the time tis here
Decision made with heart sincere

A new path before us endless doth reach
To heart, to soul new wisdom to teach
What’s gone before is gone… no more…
The new path our spirit doth beckon to soar

2 comments:

  1. Excellent prose and poetry - I think this is my favourite post of yours so far! :o)

    I'm always on the lookout for interesting opportunities, even when the others around me pressure me to keep my direction steady, to put blinkers on and not look around.

    A great tribute to the importance every decision holds, and how easy it can be to change your life for the better, if oly you are open to possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pif. I've re-read it a couple of times and I'm fairly happy with it.

    ReplyDelete